Sunday, October 17, 2010

Make A Difference. Drink Water.

In America we are pretty much used to having everything at our fingertips. What is a little pocket change? A coke. It's nothing to us. While it may be very satisfying to the taste buds,think about it. Is it really good for us? No. It is really not. So why do we drink it? Because we can. We have choices. Choices out the wazoo. In our homes we have milk, juice(multiple kinds. Apple, grape orange. Oh and pulp free for the picky one in the house.) tea and sometimes even carbonated beverages. Oh and I forgot to mention clean highly purified water. Sometimes bottled with a nice label or even flavored. We go out to eat and we generally have even more options. Walk through the store and you will find every kind of carbonated beverage filled with sugar, artificial flavoring, color and caffeine. We can afford to be a little unhealthy. Now let's go to a nation stricken with poverty. Let's just say Africa. In poverty stricken areas of Africa, women may walk six miles a day for water. This is not highly purified or flavored water. This water is not even as good as our tap water. No, It is water infected with disease. It probably comes from a stream or a hole in the ground. While we have choice upon choice and the only thing we stop to think about is what will satisfy our current taste bud needs, they only have two choices. In reality both options lead to the same thing. Death. Death by dehydration, or death by disease. They beg, they cry out to the earth for a drop of clean water. We choose to be unhealthy because we can get away with it. Sad but true. Is it not? This leads me to question and I hope you question too. What could we do with that loose change? What if we stopped popping it into the coke machine? What if we threw it in a jar to be used for something bigger? Could others drink clean water because I chose to drink clean water? What do you think? I think we could save the change and be the change.

1 comment:

  1. What...I'm not the picky one in the house...what are you talking about? (:D!!!)

    But seriously though, that's an amazing thought. I think that we really should look into this. I mean, our family hasn't been getting cokes and stuff for awhile now, just because its too expensive. But the fact is we spend like our LIFE SAVINGS pretty much on milk, like we are depending our lives on it. I am the same way too. I love it!! But I think if we used the "budget" we spend on just milk and instead drank clean water at our own leisure through tap-water, then we could use that money to give others in REAL need clean water to drink. I think that's an amazing thought, and I think it's a challenge to take, not just one to listen to, or to read...since this is a blog...yeah. Ha....ha.
    Anyways, thanks so much for giving that thought out. That would be a great way to really give to others, and I really think it's something I would like to share with my student group through our church at Wednesday night. What should we call it? It'd be cool to really talk to Janae about this, since she's the leader of the Least of these projects, and we could bring the money there!! OH MY GOODNESS!! This is really awesome!! I'll pray about it and get back to you. Thanks again!!

    Christian, you know, the "Neal" kind.

    (Oh my goodness!! Your blog looks AWESOME!! How do you DO that?! Yeah, you don't have to answer that XD!!)

    ReplyDelete